Areas of Concentration
- Alcoholic Beverage Licensing
- Recreational and Medical Marijuana Licensing
- Civil Litigation
- Licensing and Business Advice
- Personal Injury
Bob Dill concentrates his practice in the areas of business law and liquor and marijuana licensing. During his more than 25 years of practice, he has represented private and public companies. He previously served as a prosecutor in the office of the Arapahoe County District Attorney and has tried over 100 cases to verdict, including prosecution and defense of several high profile civil and criminal cases.
A significant portion of Mr. Dill’s practice is devoted to the representation of liquor-licensed businesses. They include restaurants, bars, sports venues, entertainment facilities, hotels, casinos, and liquor stores. Mr. Dill is currently a member of the International Association of Gaming Attorneys and the International Masters of Gaming Law.
Mr. Dill has been involved in licensing for medical and recreational marijuana matters since 2010 and has developed expertise in this administrative area of law. He served on the governor’s task force for the implementation of retail and medical marijuana laws and regulations.
Mr. Dill has an “AV” rating in the Directory of Lawyers in the United States, published by Martindale Hubbell, which is the highest possible rating for legal ability and ethical standards.
Mr. Dill has been selected to the Colorado Super Lawyers list since 2006. Each year, no more than five percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor. The Super Lawyers lists are published nationwide in Super Lawyers Magazines and 5280 Magazine.
- J.D., 1974, University of Denver
- B.A., 1969, University of Colorado, Boulder
- 1979 to present, Partner Dill, Dill, Carr, Stonbraker & Hutchings, PC
- 1985-1991, Judicial Nominating Commission, Colorado Supreme Court
- 1975-1979, Trial Deputy District Attorney, Arapahoe County
- 1974-1975, Staff Attorney, Office of Legislative Drafting and Statute Revision
Notable Cases and Representative Transactions
- Mr. Dill and Mr. Hutchings represented a Wyoming couple against a major national financial institution in Federal District Court in Wyoming, on claims of professional negligence and mismanagement of an investment account previously valued in excess of $10 million. A three-week jury trial in the U.S. District Court resulted in an $8.7 million verdict against the financial institution on behalf of their clients.
- Mr. Dill and Mr. Hutchings obtained a settlement in a complex negligence claim on behalf of a family in a NASD arbitration proceeding against a large U.S. brokerage firm for an amount in excess of $5 million. The merits of the claims of the various family members varied greatly as well as their individual economic circumstances. The settlement allowed each member of the family to realize a substantial recovery of the previous value of their brokerage account from the brokerage firm.
- Mr. Dill, Mr. H. Alan Dill and Mr. John Coates represented a widow, whose husband was killed in a tragic high profile trucking accident on an Interstate highway in Colorado. The negotiated settlement resulted in one of the largest wrongful death settlements in Colorado as a result of negligence on the part of the driver employed by the trucking firm.
- Mr. Dill, Mr. Tooley, and Mr. Kevin Coates represented a private citizen who was shot by Aurora Police after they had responded to a 911 call to the wrong address. The client was initially charged with the crime, and subsequently acquitted. A federal civil rights claim was brought against the police officers and the City of Aurora for denial of his civil rights and use of excessive force in connection with a false arrest. A settlement in excess of $700,000 was received from the City of Aurora in this matter.