Patrick D. Tooley
Areas of Concentration
• Complex Civil Litigation
• White Collar & General Criminal Defense
• Liquor Licensing
• General Business
Mr. Tooley concentrates his practice in the areas of complex civil litigation, criminal law, appeals, and administrative law, including liquor licensing matters. Before entering private practice, he served as Chief Deputy District Attorney in Arapahoe County. He has tried 75 civil and criminal trials to verdict in State and Federal Court and has handled appeals of criminal, civil, and administrative decisions to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Colorado Supreme Court, and the Colorado Court of Appeals.
Mr. Tooley has presented seminars to attorneys, paralegals, and professional organizations on subjects including ethical considerations in administrative law, effective management of civil litigation, grand jury investigations, DNA evidence, and search and seizure law.
He has an “AV” rating in the Directory of Lawyers in the United States, published by Martindale Hubbell, which is the highest possible rating for legal ability and ethical standards.
Since 2006, Mr. Tooley has been a Colorado Super Lawyer. He has been repeatedly chosen by his peers and through independent research of more than 13,000 lawyers in Colorado by Law & Politics, published in Colorado Super Lawyers and 5280 Magazine.
• J.D., 1985, University of Colorado, Boulder
• B.A., 1981, University of Colorado, Boulder, and Pomona College
• 1993 – present, Partner Dill Dill Carr Stonbraker & Hutchings, PC
• 1985 – 1993, Chief Deputy District Attorney Arapahoe County, Colorado
Notable Cases and Representative Transactions
• Defended national health care provider in Colorado in criminal Medicaid fraud investigation brought by United States Department of Justice, and negotiated global resolution of related state claims asserted by 28 states against provider.
• Represented large automobile manufacturer in civil RICO action on behalf of large automobile dealer and obtained substantial recovery of monies taken from dealer in large-scale warranty fraud scheme.
• Represented elected and appointed high-level government officials in felony criminal cases and federal civil rights lawsuits.
• Represented managing partner of independent oil and gas company in action for accounting, breach of fiduciary duty, appointment of receiver, and dissolution of partnership.
• Represented plaintiffs and defendants in disputes involving real estate and commercial lease transactions, equipment lease financing, unfair competition, and theft of trade secrets.
• Represented liquor licensees, including license applications, enforcement actions, and appeals to Colorado Court of Appeals and Colorado Supreme Court.
• Representation of attorneys in civil legal malpractice suits, felony criminal prosecutions, and disciplinary actions.
• Representation of plantiffs in catastrophic injury cases resulting in million-dollar-plus recoveries